Many tune in for the big game for the football, some for the commercials and halftime show. For a number of others, though, the real draw is the food lineup. Rather than opting for the traditional heavy or greasy fare that can ultimately leave you feeling like you were on the defeated team, try these five healthier options that are sure to score points.
Makes four servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs. ranch seasoning
- Pinch of salt
For the ranch seasoning:
- 2 tbs. dried parsley
- 2 tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and combine with your hands until well mixed.
- Form mixture into 12 evenly-sized meatballs. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked throughout.
- Remove from oven and top with additional buffalo sauce if preferred.
Nutritional Info: Calories: 185 | Protein: 26 grams | Fat: 8 grams | Carbs: 3 grams
Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
Makes four servings
Prep time: 4.5 hours, including 4 hours slow cooker time
Cook time: 6 minutes
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tbs. garlic powder
- 1 tbs. onion powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- Place chicken breast in a slow cooker with the salsa, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Cook on high for three to four hours, or on low for six to eight hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from slow cooker and shred.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a mandolin slicer (or with a knife by hand with close attention), slice the sweet potatoes into thin slices. The thinner the slice, the crispier they’ll be.
- Toss sweet potato slices in a bowl with olive oil and paprika.
- Line a baking sheet (or two) with aluminum foil and set a baking rack on top if you have one. Layer sweet potato slices onto the rack, making sure not to overlap them.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crispy.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F. If you used two baking sheets, condense all sweet potato slices onto one sheet. Top with chicken, black beans, corn, pepper, red onion, and green onions. Sprinkle over the cheese evenly.
- Bake for five to six minutes, until cheese is melted. Top with avocado.
Nutritional Info: Calories: 475 | Protein: 36 grams | Fat: 26 grams | Carbs: 25 grams
Makes two servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
- 2 avocados
- 1 tbs. lime juice
- 2 tbs. cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scoop avocados into a large bowl, discarding the peels and seeds. Mash with a fork.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. If desired, chill for 30 minutes to let flavors blend.
Nutritional Info: Calories: 257 | Protein: 3 grams | Fat: 21 grams | Carbs: 16 grams